Different eye conditions should be treated with different types of eye drops. You should always consult with your eyecare specialist before using any medication for your eyes.
Here are five kinds of eye drops:
1. Lubricating Eye Drops – These can be used to ease short-term cases of dry eyes linked to computer eye strain, windy, dry conditions and fatigue. The drops supplement natural tears to add more moisture to the eyes. Note that decongestants should not be used for dry eyes as they can make your symptoms worse.
2. Decongestant Eye Drops – They contain vasoconstrictors that make redness less visible by shrinking the small blood vessels on the white part of the eye. Don’t use decongestants too often as they can cause dryness, irritation, dilated pupils and worse, more redness or hyperemia.
3. Contact Lens or Rewetting Drops – Provides relief for dry eyes caused by wearing contact lenses. You can discuss your symptoms with your doctor during your eye exam to ensure you’re treating your symptoms properly.
4. Antihistamine Eye Drops – They address itching due to allergies by reducing histamine in the eye tissue. Allergy symptoms may include itchiness, redness, wateriness and puffy, swollen eyes.
5. “Pink Eye” Drops – The term “pink eye” refers to various types of conjunctivitis like bacterial, viral and allergic. Be sure the end of the bottle doesn’t touch your eye to reduce the risk of contamination.
If any of your eye condition symptoms persist or get worse, don’t delay seeking professional help. Contact Elite Vision Care for vision correction services at (281) 205-0002 or fill out our online form to set an appointment. We serve League City, TX.